Molcajete Shrimp in Salsa
- 3 tomatoes, rinsed
- 1 jalapeño chile, stem removed, or from a jar
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro, rinsed, roughly chopped and divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 pound medium shrimp, tails removed, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt, divided
- 1 key limes, juiced, or regular lime
- 1/3 cup Cotija cheese, crumbled, any cheese
- 8 -10 corn tortillas
- Avocado, sliced
- key limes or regular limes
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, place tomatoes and jalapeño with a little oil. Cook a few minutes.
- In a medium frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, shrimp and 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt. Cook until onion is translucent and shrimp is cooked thoroughly. Approximately 5 -7 minutes. Set aside.
- Place tomatoes, jalapeño, 1/4 cup cilantro and 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt on mixture and crush until desired chunky consistency. Drain off excess liquid so it won’t be watery.
- Pour shrimp mixture over sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve on warm corn tortillas with avocado slices and key lime juice and garnish with remaining cilantro.
I got this recipe from the blog Nibbles and Feasts, but I had to adapt it as shown above. To get the original recipe called,
Do you have a shrimp recipe you would like to share?